The Secret To Effective Roof Rat Control In Eugene
February 15, 2021 - Rats
Are you seeing black rats on your property? If so, you could be dealing with a roof rat infestation. These rats are often called black rats because of their mixture of dark brown and black hair. They're also commonly referred to as ship rats or house rats because they get onto ships and they get into houses.
These rodents love man-made structures whether they are on land or on the water. If they get into a structure on your property, they're likely to stay permanently. This can be a problem. While Eugene, OR roof rats are often called commensal creatures, they aren't entirely commensal. The idea of commensalism is that one organism lives off the benefits of another without causing benefit or harm. This can not be said of roof rats.
Why You Should Keep Roof Rats Out
Some people don't do anything about roof rats when they discover evidence of activity. The first step in effective roof rat control in Eugene is understanding the need to address the issue. When roof rats get in your home, they can:
- Spread harmful bacteria, parasitic worms, and pathogens.
- Introduce ticks, fleas, mites, and other ectoparasites.
- Contaminate areas with urine and feces.
- Chew holes in building materials.
- Get into stored items and chew holes or cause contamination.
- Chew on wires or gas lines and cause a house fire.
Roof Rat Prevention Tips
There are some things you can do to naturally deter and resist roof rats. These methods can prevent a rat infestation and also arrest an infestation in certain circumstances.
- Remove and protect all food sources. Rats are strongly motivated by food and can be driven away if food is not present.
- Address moisture, standing water, and containers around your home. These provide a drink for roof rats. Be sure to check your gutters for clogs. This is a common drinking hole for roof rats.
- Repair leaky pipes, faucets, and other plumbing issues inside your home.
- Seal any potential entry points in your exterior.
- Trim tree branches away from your roofline.
- Put wire mesh in your gutter downspouts.
- Consider putting spikes or something prickly in the area where thick wires attach to your home. These rats can run across wires.
- Seal any entry points on your roof.
- Remove clutter near your home and organize your storage areas to provide fewer places for roof rats to hide.
Roof Rat Control
If you use the steps given above, you can repel roof rats, but some homes have unique conditions that make it difficult to remove food, water, or harborage options. It is also possible that you have higher than normal roof rat pressures. If something is driving roof rats into your yard, you need targeted control. This is best performed by a licensed pest professional. We have some of those here at Infinity Pest Solutions. If you live in Eugene, Oregon, we can help you get control of roof rats and reduce the dangers they can present to you and your family.
Eugene, OR Rodent Management
At Infinity Pest Solutions, we provide comprehensive rodent control services to address rodent pressures, and our multi-pronged approach provides the best protection possible. Our experienced and highly trained technicians consider the habits and habitats of roof rats, and we use rodent sanitation services, exclusion tactics, tamper-resistant trapping, and other environmentally friendly methods to manage rodent activity. Don't take chances with the dangers roof rats can present. Reach out to us today to schedule a home pest control or commercial pest control evaluation. We'll let you know what you're up against and what is required to gain control of your rodent problem.